SHAH ALAM: The Selangor police have detected 69 cases involving losses of over RM600,000 connected to a company offering bogus holiday packages to frontliners.
Selangor Commercial Crime Investigation Department chief Asst Comm Muhammad Yazid Muhammad Yew said a total of 519 people have fallen prey to this scam in Selangor.
"In Ampang Jaya, seven police reports were lodged involving seven victims and RM261,269 in losses.
"In Petaling Jaya, 10 reports were lodged involving 194 victims and RM232,110 in losses while in Kajang, four reports were lodged involving 204 victims and RM48,929 in losses," he said in a statement on Monday (Sept 28).
He said 30 police reports were lodged in Sungai Buloh involving 63 victims and RM26,193 in losses while in Gombak, seven reports were lodged involving 26 victims and RM15,430 in losses.
ACP Muhammad Yazid also said that three reports were lodged in Subang Jaya involving three victims and RM4,097 in losses, while two victims lodged reports in Sepang involving RM3,493 in losses.
Earlier on Monday, Sungai Buloh OCPD Supt Shafa'aton Abu Bakar said that a syndicate run by a husband and wife has been crippled for trying to dupe frontliners into purchasing
non- existent holiday packages.
Supt Shafa'aton said that the police were alerted after a nurse was duped into purchasing one of the "packages" on Sept 13.
"She saw a post on WhatsApp via a group with her colleagues about a holiday package to Port Dickson for between RM88 and RM499 and contacted the company.
"They then offered her to be an agent for the company and 10% commission if she referred more customers to them," she told reporters at the Sungai Buloh police headquarters on Monday.
She said the complainant then shared the package with her colleagues and 26 of them maid bookings amounting to RM7,778 to the company.
"The complainant lodged a report when checks with the hotel showed no bookings were made.
"A team from Sungai Buloh Commercial Crime Investigation Department raided a homestay at Ampang on Sept 24 and arrested a man and woman aged 27 and 26," she said.
She added that the man was the owner of the company while the woman was his wife and acted as the liaison with the "agents" and customers who made bookings.
She said investigations revealed the company was not registered with the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry and was not appointed by any of the hotels or residences as an agent.
"They would receive payment from customers and make bookings via an online travel booking platform.
"Investigations revealed there were never any actual packages offered," she said, adding that they seized four mobile phones and a laptop and have remanded the couple until Sept 29 to assist further investigations.
She said the case was being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful