PUTRAJAYA: The enhanced movement control order (MCO) in Kota Setar, Kedah has been lifted except for the Tongkang Yard flat in Alor Setar which remains under lockdown.
Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the low-cost flat in Jalan Seberang Perak has been placed under targeted enhanced MCO until Oct 7.
So far, nine residents of the flat have tested positive for Covid-19.
“Based on the Health Ministry’s assessment, there are still some areas in the Kota Setar district that are Covid-19 high-risk locations.
“The area with the highest risk is the Tongkang Yard flat. There are 94 residents in the location who have been screened, and nine of them have tested positive for Covid-19. This involves five households, ” said Ismail Sabri in a statement on Friday (Sept 25).
Ismail said the targeted enhanced MCO imposed at the Tongkang Yard flat is to allow the Health Ministry to conduct a second round of screenings in the area.
The Defence Minister added that SK Sungai Korok Lama will be closed from Sept 26 to Oct 9.
“The police and the armed forces will be controlling the movement at the location to ensure that all residents adhere to standard operating procedures and the home quarantine order, ” he said.
Kota Setar has been put under enhanced MCO from Sept 11 until Sept 25 by the government after a spike in Covid-19 cases in the district.
Kota Setar is the only district in Peninsular Malaysia to be classified as a Covid-19 red zone. The other red zones are Tawau, Lahad Datu, Kunak and Semporna in Sabah.
Districts are identified as red zones when there are 41 and above Covid-19 cases recorded in the area.
Covid-19, Coronavirus, Enhanced MCO, Ismail Sabri Yaakob, Kota Setar, Tongkang Yard flat
Did you find this article insightful?
89% readers found this article insightful