KOTA KINABALU: Lahad Datu MP Datuk Mohamaddin Ketapi (pic) will be called up to explain his statement regarding the 2013 Lahad Datu intrusion incident.
Caretaker Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal said he would talk to Mohamaddin, who is Parti Warisan Sabah’s candidate for the Segama state seat, about the matter as soon as possible.
“I will call him, and ask why he said those things,” Shafie said after an event in Sandakan, Monday (Sept 21).
“I was told he (Mohamaddin) has apologised over the matter but I will talk to him and ask him about it nevertheless,” he said.
Shafie said this when asked whether any action will be taken against Mohamaddin over his statement that has caused an uproar among politicians and the public.
Earlier on Monday, a video, of Mohamaddin saying that the 2013 shootout between Sulu militants and Malaysian security forces in Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu was “just a show” to gain votes and help Barisan Nasional win the 13th General Election, was widely circulated.
In his speech, he claimed that military aircraft and tanks were deployed to Kampung Tanduo, about 37km from Lahad Datu town, to fight off invaders but destroyed oil palm plantations instead.
Mohamaddin said the only enemies the military had to fight off were "chickens and dogs” and claimed that the "show" was over after the GE13 results were announced.
He also claimed that in his travels to the area, he had never encountered any invaders who tried to claim Sabah as theirs.
He had since apologised over the matter saying he never meant to insult anyone, and he was not belittling the sacrifices of security forces, adding that his comments were taken out of context.