Man and nephews found alive after fishing trip goes awry

  • Nation
  • Saturday, 19 Sep 2020

JOHOR BARU: A fishing trip involving an uncle and his two teenage nephews almost turned into a tragedy after their boat capsized in Pengerang waters near Kota Tinggi.

But lady luck smiled on Singaporean national Ong Gim Hong, 55, and his two Malaysian nephews Timutius Tan, 16, and Ogeven Ogen, 14, after the waves swept them to Pulau Tekong in Singapore.

Johor Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) director First Admiral Nurul Hizam Zakaria said the agency, through its Maritime Rescue Sub Centre (MRSC) here, received a distress call at around 9.45pm on Thursday about three people having gone missing after going fishing in Pengerang waters.

“One of the victims, Ogeven, is from Telok Kabung in Pasir Gudang.

“He went out with his two relatives to fish at around 3pm on the same day. When his family could not contact him, they lodged a police report.

“We immediately activated a search and rescue operation at around 10.30pm involving a search area of 20 nautical miles by using patrol boats from MMEA and marine police. The operation was also helped by the local fishing community, ” he said in a statement here on Friday.

Nurul Hizam pointed out that at around 9am yesterday, MRSC Johor Baru received information from the Kampung Teluk Kabung village chief saying that all three victims had been found beached at Pulau Tekong.

He added that all three victims were safe and that their boat sunk after being hit by strong waves.

“All three have been brought to the Telok Kabong jetty and have been instructed to lodge a report at the nearest police station, ” he said, adding that the operation ended at around 10.15am.

Nurul Hizam also said MMEA would like to advise the public and maritime community to be vigilant while carrying out any activities in the sea by prioritising safety and weather patterns.

In an unrelated case, MMEA detained a Panama-registered tanker for illegally anchoring some 11 nautical miles northeast of Tanjung Penawar in eastern Johor waters here.

Tanjung Sedili maritime zone director captain Mohd Zulfadli Nayan said MMEA patrol boats detained the vessel at around 11.20am on Thursday while carrying out a routine inspection during Ops Benteng.

“The vessel committed an offence for anchoring without informing or obtaining approval from the Malaysia Marine Department director general.

“Further checks found that the vessel also failed to produce insurance documents, ” he said in a statement here yesterday.

Mohd Zulfadli added that the vessel had 15 crew, including its captain. Nine of them were Chinese nationals and six were Indonesian nationals between the ages of 22 and 62.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


100% readers found this article insightful

Across the site