KOTA KINABALU: Politicians are urged to fight a gentlemen's battle and to not resort to using personal attacks for their political games as Sabah prepares to face its 16th state election.
Liberal Democratic Action Party president Datuk Chin Su Phin said personal attacks are old and useless tactics that do not benefit the rakyat.
He said instead of picking on other candidates, politicians - especially elected representatives - should focus on solving problems in their area of jurisdiction.
"They should not come up with issues that have no basis, especially if the matter doesn't even involve their constituency," he said.
Chin said this after he was allegedly accused of building a huge wall to disallow people from entering and exiting Kg Kobusak from the Lido Plaza commercial centre.
This matter was highlighted by Warisan Plus leaders Datuk Junz Wong, Datuk Christina Liew and Phoong Jin Zhe who are contesting in the Tanjung Aru, Api-Api and Luyang state seats respectively.
Kg Kobusak and the Lido Plaza are not under any of these seats.
Chin said Wong had claimed that he was the one to urge authorities to construct the wall and thus blocking access at the end of the shop lots that connect to Kg Kobusak.
"What kind of power do I have to stop the right of way and to ask the authorities to construct this wall?" he asked, adding that he will not hesitate to sue those who make such accusations and tarnish his image.
He said the said area, which has been turned into a dumpsite, was seldom maintained with construction debris and even a huge mattress being left there for the past few months.
"Previously, there were a lot of rats, pests and stray animals rummaging through the trash and entering into our houses," Chin said.
He said it was surprising why the three mentioned leaders had not said anything about the trash problem that comes with health hazards and risks during their "visit" to the area recently.
"Instead, they talk about this wall which has been here for the past six years," he said.
On Sept 17, Wong had urged the Penampang district council to explain about the construction of the wall as people were complaining that its presence was causing congestion.
He said businessmen and the developer of the centre told him that the wall has been there for a few years, affecting their businesses as well.
The developer who was also present then had said that he had tried to get answers from the district council in 2014 and 2018 by sending them letters of enquiries but did not receive any response.
The developer said according to the approved development plan, there are supposed to be two entry and exit ways, one of which was supposed to be the one now blocked by the wall.
To this, Wong asked if the person who owns the house just behind the wall had anything to do with the whole matter.
He later mentioned Chin's name, claiming that the house belongs to Chin.