PETALING JAYA: A special task force will be set up in Sabah to monitor campaign sites in view of the growing number of Covid-19 cases in the state, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
He said although monitoring activities were already in place, the authorities need to further tighten control to reduce the risk of Covid-19 transmissions in the run-up to state polls.
“Up to Sept 14, the Health Ministry has screened 3,981 individuals in Tawau and 1,421 in Lahad Datu.
“So far, Tawau recorded 331 positive cases and Lahad Datu 89 cases.
“Additional measures need to be taken in view of the Benteng Lahad Datu (LD) cluster and the Laut cluster in Tawau,” he said yesterday.
Ismail Sabri added that the authorities have yet to make any decision on imposing lockdown measures in Lahad Datu and Tawau as the situation was still under control.
“The Health Ministry has identified 14 locations linked to Benteng LD and Laut clusters.
“It included Mukim Sri Tanjung (seven locations), Mukim Wallace Bay (one location) and Mukim Merotai (six locations).
“Some 25,000 individuals in Tawau and 13,000 in Lahad Datu would be screneed,” he said.
Ismail Sabri also said a block in Tawau prison and a community hall in Lahad Datu would be used as quarantine centres for low-risk individuals under surveillance.
“Those confirmed positive would be warded at treatment centres,” he said and advised the public to avoid crowded areas, wear face masks and observe social distancing.
He also dismissed as fake news the claims that curfew was imposed in Tawau from 6pm to 6am, saying that too much fake news was being spread, triggering unnecessary panic among the public.
“Claim that a 14-day quarantine order would be imposed on those returning from Sabah is also false,” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?