Ismail Sabri: 512 detained for recovery MCO violations


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 13 Sep 2020

PETALING JAYA: The authorities have detained 512 individuals for various violations of the recovery movement control order (MCO), says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (pic).

The Senior Minister (Security) said 294 were caught in pubs and nightclubs while 56 were nabbed for holding private parties.

Also nabbed were those failing to provide check-in facilities for customers (32), not wearing face masks (14), failing to adhere to physical distancing rules (103), businesses operating beyond the stipulated time (eight), suspected prostitution (four) and one for failing to adhere to quarantine regulations.

Of those detained, 452 were issued compounds while 59 were remanded with one given bail.

The arrests were made during checks by police on Saturday (Sept 12), who are leading the government’s task force on standard operating procedure (SOP) compliance.

On Ops Benteng, Ismail Sabri also said that 80 illegal immigrants, six smugglers and a boat pilot were detained following 82 police roadblocks set up under joint enforcement operations.

He warned that stern action would be taken against anyone attempting to enter the country illegally with enforcement agencies tightening security at the country's borders, especially at the "lorong tikus" or secret passages.

He added that the compliance operation task force led by the police had also conducted 58,393 checks including on 3,989 supermarkets, 5,405 restaurants, 1,331 stalls, 1,146 factories, 3,860 banks and 663 government buildings.

Ismail Sabri also said between July 24 and Sept 12, a total of 28,063 people have entered the country through international entry points.

The individuals were all placed at 69 hotels, eight public training institutions as well as private higher learning institutions nationwide to undergo their mandatory quarantine process.

So far, 10,187 individuals are currently being quarantined while 17,807 others have already been discharged.

Another 69 individuals have been sent to hospitals for treatment.

Ismail Sabri also said the Housing and Local Government Ministry had conducted five Covid-19 sanitisation exercises in three states - Sabah (2), Penang (2) and Melaka (1).

He added that since March 30, the ministry had conducted 9,930 sanitisation operations in 134 zones involving 12,988 premises.

Ismail Sabri said that the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry’s enforcement officers have also conducted 1,159 checks on business premises on SOP compliance, of which 1,151 were found to have complied.

He added that 698 checks were also conducted by the officers to ensure the availability of 12 essential daily items for consumers.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Six Mat Rempits detained, two road users held for drink-driving in Penang
Upko's Lucas Umbul joins Sabah STAR
Peat fires in four districts due to dry spell, says Johor exco member
Structural repairs on Penang Bridge expected to complete in two months
Communications Ministry to assist Tourism Ministry promote tourism industry, says Saifuddin
Over 300 undocumented migrants deported from Sabah following easing of immigration rules
YouTuber among 12 arrested over futsal brawl in Subang
Photos of Tok Pa travelling by bus to Kota Baru go viral
PAS postponing muktamar until after GE15, says Takiyuddin
SPM student among six nabbed in Penang drug raids, over RM100,000 worth of drugs seized

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers