Ismail Sabri: 118 people nabbed by cops in pubs, nightclubs on Tuesday (Sept 8)


PUTRAJAYA: The police have nabbed some 118 individuals at pubs and nightclubs as part of the government’s operation on recovery movement control order (MCO) violations.

Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob the 118 individuals were among 221 caught committing various recovery MCO-related offences by authorities on Tuesday (Sept 8).

“Out of the 221 offenders, 212 were issued compounds, eight were held under remand while one individual was bailed.

“Among the recovery MCO offences that were found during checks by the authorities included ‘pub and nightclub activities’ (118 individuals), failing to adhere to physical distancing rules (43), failing to provide check-in facilities for customers (34), not wearing face masks (18), businesses operating beyond the stipulated time (five) and failure to follow quarantine orders (one), ” said Ismail Sabri in his daily statement on Wednesday (Sept 9).

The arrests were made during checks by police on Tuesday (Sept 8), who are leading the government’s task force on standard operating procedures (SOP) compliance.

A total of 61,462 checks were made on Tuesday by 13,769 officers of the task force.

The premises that were monitored included supermarkets, restaurants, hawker stalls, factories, banks, government offices as well as air, land and water terminals.

The Defence Minister said that police, Malaysian Border Security Agency and Armed Forces personnel had put up 72 roadblocks nationwide on Tuesday under “Ops Benteng”.

“A total of 24,972 vehicles were checked and 11 arrests were made, ” he said.

Ops Benteng was set up to control the country’s borders and stop any illegal entry, which at the same time also prevents the transmission of Covid-19 from abroad.

Ismail Sabri also said between July 24 and Sept 8, a total of 25,688 people have entered the country through international entry points.

The individuals were all placed at 70 hotels, eight public training institutions as well as private higher learning institutions nationwide to undergo their mandatory quarantine process.

So far, 10,390 individuals are currently being quarantined while 15,230 others have already been discharged.

Another 68 individuals have been sent to hospitals for treatment.

Ismail Sabri also said the Housing and Local Government Ministry had conducted nine Covid-19 sanitisation exercises in several states - Penang (four operations), Sabah (two), Melaka (two) and Johor (one).

He said since March 30, the ministry had conducted 9,883 sanitisation operations in 134 zones.

Ismail Sabri said on Tuesday, the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry’s enforcement officers have conducted 683 checks on business premises on SOP compliance.

“Based on the checks, it is found that 1,582 premises have adhered to the government’s SOPs. Another 14 businesses were given advice while another two were issued warnings for not following SOPs, ” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Former national shuttler Chong Wei shares touching story during Raya
Malay Mail editor-in-chief Wong Sai Wan dies at age 59
Covid-19: Perak has highest infectivity rate
Raya SOP: Cops deny viral picture of RM30,000 compound
Weak quake hits Sabah’s Kundasang
Man held over viral rioting incident in Johor
Ipoh hospital operating as normal, says director
Covid-19: We've not reached 'Sophie's choice' yet, healthcare system still able to cope, says Health Minister
Police seek to expedite purchase of body cameras
EMCO in two localities in Sarawak lifted

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers