100+ arrested at pubs and nightclubs for breaching MCO


PUTRAJAYA: Over 100 people were nabbed at pubs and nightclubs in a day’s raid, as part of police operations on recovery movement control order (MCO) violations, says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

The Senior Minister (Security) said the 109 individuals who were arrested for “activities at pubs or nightclubs” were among 198 people caught on Wednesday (Sept 2).

“On Sept 2, the police arrested 198 individuals for violating the MCO. From that total, 184 individuals were issued compounds while nine others have been held under remand. Another five have been release on bail.

“Among the recovery MCO offences that were discovered during checks by the authorities were activities at pubs or nightclubs (109 individuals), activities with large crowds and lack of physical distancing (41), failure to provide check-in facilities for customers (25), not wearing face masks (17), prostitution activities (two), and failure to adhere with quarantine orders (one),” he said in a statement Thursday (Sept 3).

The arrests were made during checks by the police who are leading the government’s task force on standard operating procedure (SOP) compliance.

A total of 51,809 checks were made Wednesday night by 12,567 officers of the task force, according to Ismail.

Premises that were monitored included supermarkets, restaurants, hawker stalls, factories, banks, government offices as well as air, land and water terminals.

Ismail also said the police had put up 63 roadblocks nationwide on Wednesday under “Ops Benteng”, which was meant to stop immigrants from illegally entering the country and to prevent crossborder crime as well as the spread of Covid-19.

He said one foreigner was arrested by the police for an immigration-related offence.

On the mandatory quarantine orders, Ismail said that between July 24 and Sept 2, a total of 22,057 individuals entered the country through international entry points.

They were all placed at 71 hotels and four public training institutions nationwide to undergo their mandatory quarantine.

So far, 9,481 individuals are currently being quarantined while 12,510 others have been discharged.

Another 66 individuals have been sent to hospitals for treatment.

Ismail also said the Housing and Local Government Ministry had conducted eight Covid-19 sanitisation exercises in several states – Sarawak (three operations), Sabah (two), and one each in Melaka, Pahang and Perak.

He said since March 30, the ministry had conducted 9,815 sanitisation operations in 134 zones.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

53% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

PM launches Rukun Tetangga community leadership empowerment plan
Uzbek man nabbed for lodging false report on extortion case
Larry Sng quits as Sarawak PKR chief
Penang CM gets Covid-19 jab
Boys found drowned in swimming mishap in Skudai River
Criminal appeal hearings to begin via video-conferencing from Monday (March 1)
Sabah’s dusk-to-dawn sea curfew extended until March 16
Siblings among three killed in head-on collision on Jalan Kuching
CoronaVac vaccine arrives in Malaysia
KJ: I’ll take next approved vaccine to instil confidence

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers