Ten companies raided in Sabah, almost RM1mil in losses due to power thefts


  • Nation
  • Friday, 07 Aug 2020

KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB), together with the state Energy Commission, raided 10 companies for suspected power thefts leading to losses of almost RM1mil.

SESB acting managing director Datuk Abdul Nasser Abdul Wahid said during a press conference here Friday (Aug 7) that the raids were conducted in Kota Kinabalu and Keningau from Aug 4 to 6.

“From these raids, we found that some of the companies comprising one providing hotel and spa services, a property management company, workshops, wood processing factory and car wash had been stealing or tampering with their electric meters, ” he said, with a total of

RM846,589.67 in losses recorded.

He said these companies were believed to be involved in power thefts between eight months and about four years, some of which were repeat offenders.

Abdul Nasser said the property management company in the city is believed to have stolen the most at RM504,710.77.

He said SESB is in the midst of getting a court order to charge those involved.

Out of the 10 cases, four will be handled by the Energy Commission, while the rest by SESB.

“From these raids, we seized power cables and electricity meters, among other items, ” he said.

In relation to this, Abdul Nasser said the SESB suffered losses of over RM9.2mil due to power thefts from 2017 to Aug 6 this year.

The utility company recorded a total of 1,526 cases throughout this period.

Also present was Energy Commission deputy director Ahmad Tazmin Mohd Nordin.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

SESB , Sabah , power thefts , Energy Commission

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Across the site