70% of villagers under quarantine


  • Nation
  • Friday, 07 Aug 2020

ALOR SETAR: Security in Napoh, Jitra, has been stepped up with almost 70% of villagers in Kampung Tebing still under quarantine since the outbreak of Covid-19 cases related to the Sivagangga cluster.

Kubang Pasu OCPD Supt Mohd Ismail Ibrahim said so far, eight roadblocks had been set up to guard entries into areas within a kilometre of the restaurant linked to the cluster.

Supt Mohd Ismail said the movement restriction was classified as a targeted enhanced movement control order.

“So far, compliance by the residents is good and we have sought help from the Public Works Department to set up barricades.

“Traffic is slow-moving as thorough inspections are being conducted before motorists are allowed to pass through.

“Welfare bodies have been tasked to deliver the necessary aid to the homes and the area is under heavy monitoring,” he said yesterday.

Petrol station attendant Md Nasir Hashim, 54, said after he was cleared of the quarantine, his three sons were now undergoing it.

“After the cluster was detected, I was put under quarantine and released after testing negative on Wednesday.

“But now my three sons, aged 24, 18 and 15, have been placed under quarantine until Aug 19.

“There are about 300 villagers here and 70% of them are under quarantine. Only one person from each household is allowed to go out,” said Nasir, a single parent.

He said his job had also been affected due to traffic congestion and movement restrictions imposed at multiple roadblocks in the area.

“My shifts have been cut short as business hours end at 6pm. Hopefully, we will get aid from the government,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Sivagangga cluster , napoh

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

92% readers found this article insightful

Across the site