KOTA KINABALU: A few Sabah assemblymen who claimed they had been offered money to leave the Warisan-led state administration have yet to lodge official reports with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
Sabah MACC director S. Karunanithy said they had initiated investigations into claims that several assemblymen were offered cash and attractive positions to cross over from their respective parties.
He said the MACC had contacted some of the assemblymen recently.
“The assemblymen involved did not want to make any official report. They told us there was no corrupt transaction so far," he said in a statement on Friday (July 31).
However, he said the MACC would continue to investigate the matter and was ready to accept reports and information from those who were allegedly approached or any others.
Many assemblymen from Parti Warisan Sabah-led coalition state government had claimed they had been offered large sums of money for them to cross over to the Opposition in bid to topple the state government.
A group of assemblymen led by former chief minister Tan Sri Musa Aman had pushed to topple Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal’s state government.
Musa managed to get 33 assemblymen, including 13 from the Warisan-led coalition to cross over in his bid to be sworn in as chief minister.
However, the move failed when the Yang di-Pertua Negeri decided to dissolve the assembly on Thursday (July 30).
Did you find this article insightful?
91% readers found this article insightful