PETALING JAYA: The government will bear more than half the cost of the mandatory quarantine for Malaysians returning home, said Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
The Senior Minister (Security) said that the government would bear 56% of the cost, while the remaining 44% of the cost would be borne by the returnees.
Non-citizens however would bear 100% of the costs.
Following a spike of Covid-19 cases and non-compliance of procedures among those returning to Malaysia, the government decided that all returnees would have to undergo mandatory quarantine at designated centres or hotels from July 24.
The government had previously allowed returnees to undergo the quarantine at home since June 10, before reversing on this decision.n
Since July 24, a total of 1448 individuals have returned to Malaysia, with all them being placed in six hotels and three public training institutes in Kuala Lumpur, Negeri Sembilah, Pulau Pinang and Johor.
They have returned from 19 countries namely the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, Brunei, Qatar, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, UAE, Japan, Turkey, South Korea, Iran, Bangladesh, China and Australia.
As for those who are still in home quarantine, Ismail Sabri said that officers from the Ministry of Health and the police would conduct spot-checks to make sure that they were adhering to the standard operating procedure (SOP).
This included staying at home, wearing the wristband, and taking a second test on Day 13 of the quarantine.
“The public are asked to contact the police if there are individuals with wristbands who go to public places, ” he said, adding that the police could issue them compounds of RM1000 or charge them in court, which could result in a six-month jail sentence.
He added that the police would start detaining and charging 2,897 individuals who have yet to undergo their second test for the disease.