PETALING JAYA: The authorities are taking punitive action against individuals who have failed to undergo a second Covid-19 test at the end of their home quarantine period.
Senior Minister (Defence) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said 2,897 individuals who had failed to do the second test on Day 13 of home quarantine will be hauled to court from Monday. “
The police will start arresting and charging them in court, ” he said. Ismail Sabri ordered those affected to contact the nearest district healthcare facility to carry out a second test.
He said they needed to take stern action as people’s failure to abide by the safety protocols upon returning from abroad would increase the risk of Covid-19 transmission.
The government had decided to reopen designated quarantine centres in view of the rising number of imported cases and people’s failure to strictly observe safety protocols while under home quarantine.
From July 24, those returning from abroad, including expatriates, were placed at designated facilities and must bear the cost of boarding and Covid-19 tests.On Friday, 319 individuals who returned from abroad were placed at four quarantine stations in Kuala Lumpur, Negri Sembilan and Johor.
They had returned from Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, Brunei, Qatar, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, United Arab Emirates, China and Australia.
Ismail Sabri said the authorities will carry out checks on 9,600 individuals currently under mandatory home quarantine to ensure that they abide by the standard operating procedure (SOP).
On Friday, police had detained 330 people for being involved in activities in a crowded space where social distancing could not be observed, he added.
“Of the figure, 23 individuals had been remanded, three were released on bail while 304 others were served with compound notices, ” he said.
From May 13 to Friday, the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry inspected 132,919 premises and issued warning to 301 for flouting safety protocols.
From April 20 to July 24, the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) had issued warning notices to 564 construction sites for not observing the SOP.
The CIDB had also ordered the closure of 19 construction sites. “On July 24, CIDB inspected 25 sites. Four did not observe SOP and one site was not operational, ” it said.
Ismail Sabri said the compliance operation task force led by the police had on Friday carried out 63,511 inspections nationwide on Day 44 of the recovery movement control order (MCO).
Checks were carried out at 3,986 supermarkets, 5,580 restaurants, 1,408 hawker stalls, 1,142 factories, 3,639 banks, 755 government offices, 1,122 land terminals, 273 jetties and 130 air terminals on Friday.
Police had also inspected 34,967 vehicles at 65 roadblocks near illegal routes into the country. “The police detained 11 foreigners over immigration offences, ” he said. Since March 30, the Housing and Local Government Ministry had carried out 9,363 sanitisation operations at 134 zones.