KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 266 investigation papers have been opened in connection with spreading fake news since the start of the movement control order (MCO), says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob on Sunday (July 19).
The Senior Minister (Security) said as of July 18,172 cases were still being investigated, 30 had been prosecuted, 12 issued a warning notice, and 13 were undergoing trial.
He said convictions had been obtained in 17 cases.
"No new cases have been recorded for the past two months, showing that awareness among the people on the spread of fake news is increasing.
"However, the police and the Malaysia Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) are in the midst of evaluating several reports made on fake news," he said in a statement on Sunday (July 19).
The authorities would continue to monitor the spread of fake news closely, he added.
"We will not compromise with anyone who spreads fake news.
"The relevant authorities have issued 352 denials and explanations on fake news since the start of the MCO," he added.
Ismail reminded people to be careful in sharing unverified news.
"They can verify information at www.sebenarnya.my," he added.
Meanwhile, 11 public sanitisation operations were conducted on Saturday involving 11 zones in four states, he said.
"Since March 30, a total of 9,286 operations have been conducted nationwide involving 134 zones," he added.
Did you find this article insightful?
33% readers found this article insightful