IPOH: The Sessions Court here has set three days in October for the trial of former Perak executive council member Paul Yong Choo Kiong (pic) involving his alleged rape case.
Sessions Court judge Azman Abu Hassan fixed Oct 19 to 21 for the trial to start, pending the outcome of Yong’s appeal at the Federal Court for the case to be heard at the High Court instead of the Sessions Court.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Azhar Mokhtar had requested the court to fix trial dates first since the case has been postponed several times due to appeals filed by Yong.
“The case has been filed since last year, postponed several times as well, and thus it will be better if trial dates are set first, ” he said.
Yong’s lead counsel Datuk Rajpal Singh told reporters outside the court that the trial dates were set while awaiting the decision from the Federal Court.
“We are still waiting for the majority judgement from the Federal Court, and if our appeal is granted then the case will be heard at the High Court instead.
“If the decision does not favour my client then the case shall be heard at the Sessions Court, but we will fix a date for case management first to sort out issues relating to the Witness Protection Act, ” he added.
In February this year, the Court of Appeal had dismissed Yong’s appeal to transfer the case to the High Court, resulting in an appeal application made at the Federal Court.
In August last year, Yong had pleaded not guilty to raping his former 23-year-old Indonesian maid at his house.
The act was said to have been committed in a room on the top floor of his house in Meru Desa Park on July 7, between 8.15pm and 9.15pm.
Did you find this article insightful?
60% readers found this article insightful