Johor govt to continue monitoring flood situation in Muar, says state exco


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 14 Jul 2020

MUAR: The state government will continue to monitor the flood situation in Muar and ensure that the welfare of the affected victims is well taken care off.

Johor Women Development, Family and Community Committee chairman Zaiton Ismail said the state government through the Welfare Department (JKM) has channelled daily necessities and other needs to the victims.

“We have also ordered the district office to help with the clearing up process of blocked drainage and sewers because some areas are inundated with water due to the poor effluent system.

“The state has also worked together with NGOs and volunteers for the cleanup process of affected houses, ” she said when contacted here on Tuesday (July 14).

Zaiton, who is also the Sungai Balang assemblyman, added that although the water had started to recede in some areas, victims are still not allowed to return home until receiving greenlight from the Civil Defence Force or the Fire and Rescue Department.

“The victims here are in good hands and JKM has also provided them with meals four times a day, personal hygiene products and others, ” she added.

Meanwhile, one of the victims, Mohd Ahmad Shukor, 28, said that this was the first time that his house was immersed with water this year since 2015.

“This time the flood was knee-deep from the usually ankle-deep flood back in 2015.

“I was getting ready to go to work at about 8.30am on Monday (July 13) when suddenly I got a call from my neighbour informing me that my housing area was flooded with water at 9am.

“I did not manage to save anything because I did not expect the water to rise that fast, ” he said, adding that the flash floods were caused by blocked irrigation.

“My housing area does not have a proper drainage system so it would be easily blocked by any dead plants or trash, and once that occurs water would just rise up quickly, ” he added.

Meanwhile, another victim from Kampung Dato’ Sri Amar Diraja, Rusli Hamzah, 64, said that he was unable to save his car and motorcycle from being submerged as the water rose too quickly.

“My house is located in a low-lying area but usually when it floods the water would be about knee-deep, but this time itw as waist-deep.

“I was at the nearby plantation when the rain occurred at about 8.30am. I only knew about the incident after my wife called me at about 10am, ” he said, adding that the water started to recede on Tuesday.

As of 4pm Tuesday, a total of 910 people had been placed at 13 temporary relief centres (PPS) in the four affected districts namely Pontian, Muar, Batu Pahat and Tangkak.

The majority of the victims are in Muar with 682 people, followed by Pontian (146), Tangkak (67) and Batu Pahat (15).

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Across the site