PETALING JAYA: The police are setting the record straight after a Facebook post claimed that minimal action was taken on a burglary suspect.
The post claimed that the police had released the suspect, whom the writer identified as a neighbour.
She also claimed a previous break-in at her apartment was linked to the suspect, but no action was taken on this case either.
"In the police report on May 8, the poster said her house was broken into when she was away for seven weeks during the movement control order period.
"In her report, she stated that she did not know who was responsible," said Petaling Jaya OCPD Nik Ezanee Mohd Faisal.
"On May 24, an arrest was made at the Harmoni Apartment in Damansara Damai. The police located the complainant's watch.
"The suspect also admitted to breaking into the complainant's house and had already sold a number of the stolen items to a local man," said he in a statement on Thursday (July 2).
He added that two more arrests were made and the police were locating more of the complainant's stolen belongings.
"All three suspects were remanded from May 15 to May 20. The DPP agreed to charge the first suspect under Section 411 of the Penal Code for possessing stolen goods and Section 29(1) of the Minor Offences Act 1955 for failing to give an explanation on how the items were obtained.
"The other two men were made into prosecution witnesses.
"On June 10, the DPP informed the complainant of the status of the case, with the suspect charged under Section 411 of the Penal Code and Section 29(1) of the Minor Offences Act 1955," he said, adding that the suspect had been granted court bail until his trial begins on Aug 10.
ACP Nik Ezanee also said claims that the suspect was granted police bail were wrong.
"The police will always ensure that every report made is studied and investigated fairly and with integrity," he said.
Did you find this article insightful?
82% readers found this article insightful