Number of flood victims in Sabah on the rise


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 30 Jun 2020

Safety first: State Fire and Rescue Department personnel surveying the situation at Long Panai village, one of the areas affected by floods in northern Sarawak. — Photo courtesy of the state Fire and Rescue Department

KOTA KINABALU: The number of flood victims in Sabah continued to rise after 1,210 people from 375 families were placed at 15 temporary evacuation centres in several districts as of noon yesterday.

According to a statement from the Sabah Disaster Management Committee, 323 victims from 102 families were placed at four centres in Kota Belud and 634 people from 192 families placed at eight centres in Tenom.

“In addition, 62 victims from 20 families have been placed at a centre in Papar, 19 from five families at a centre in Penampang and 49 from 12 families at a PPS in Beaufort, ” it said.

It also stated that 152 villages in 11 districts in Sabah were affected by heavy rains last Saturday.

In neighbouring Sarawak, Long Panai village has become one of several areas affected.

Floods had earlier been reported in the interior regions of Limbang, Marudi and Baram districts in northern Sarawak.

The state Fire and Rescue Department said water was rising in the affected areas due to heavy rain in the interior. — Bernama

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Across the site