MB: Abandoned housing issue in Felda Chini nearly resolved


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 30 Jun 2020

Pahang Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail. – Bernama

KUANTAN: The issue of abandoned housing for second-generation Felda settlers in Felda Chini 3 is nearly resolved, says Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail.

He said the Federal Government had approved a RM9.5mil allocation to complete the 29-unit project in April.

“Restoration and completion works will be implemented in September.

“This was among the issues raised by the late Datuk Seri Abu Bakar Harun but he was unable to see the results due to his passing on May 6, ” said Wan Rosdy.

Felda itself, he noted, proposed the rescue and completion plans for the project in July and October 2018.

Wan Rosdy said the allocation would be used not only for the completion of 29 units of single-storey terrace house but also for infrastructure works, including blasting, for the entire original site where 100 housing units were supposed to be built.

“To complete the construction of the remaining 71 units of the same type of house, Felda is awaiting the allocation of about RM6.4mil, or about RM90,000 per unit, from the Federal Government, ” he revealed.

According to Wan Rosdy, the original contractor was appointed to complete 100 single-storey terrace housing units worth RM17.8mil in September 2013.

However, the contractor submitted an application to reduce the number of houses to only 29 units after discovering large rocky areas by September 2016.

Felda management did not agree with the contractor’s demand to maintain the original costs but for the construction of 29 units.

After the contractor faced financial troubles and a lack of workers, Felda terminated the contract in May 2018 due to failure to continue work.

“It is hoped that no one will criticise the action by the government or Felda as though it is politically motivated because of the Chini by-election, ” said Wan Rosdy.

On Sunday, he said the Independent candidates for the by-election had run out of ideas as they kept harping on issues which had already been resolved by the government.

He said that these candidates kept highlighting housing issues for second-generation Felda settlers and water problems in the Chini area.

Independent candidate Mohd Shukri Mohd Ramli, 49, had raised the abandoned housing issue while on his campaign trail.

Mohd Shukri is facing Barisan Nasional’s Mohd Sharim Md Zain, 41, and another independent candidate, Tengku Datuk Zainul Hisham Tengku Hussin, 64, in the contest for the state seat.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site