KUALA LUMPUR: The decision on the proposed redevelopment of Kampung Baru will be known by June 30, says Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa.
He said the Kampung Baru Development Corporation (PKB) had been told to produce a report detailing the plans as well as feedback from the landowners by month's end.
"We want to know if the plan proposed by the previous administration is viable or not.
"I was told that only 61% of landowners have agreed to the plan.
"In the concept of 'willing buyers and willing sellers', all the sellers must agree in order for the transaction to take place," he said on Friday (June 26), adding that details on funds to finance the redevelopment must also be looked into.
Last year, Annuar's predecessor Khalid Abdul Samad announced the plan to redevelop the Malay enclave.
The plan involved acquiring the plots of land from over 5,300 landowners at RM1,000 psf, with RM150 to be paid in the form of shares in a special purpose vehicle that would be set up.
"Should the redevelopment plan fail to take off, the government will look into an alternative approach to develop Kampung Baru.
"But we will ensure that the ownership of the lands are maintained for the Malays," he said.
On the topic of the dissolution of the Malay Agricultural Settlement (MAS) board in the Malay enclave, Annuar said this was a legal matter.
"This is a legal issue on whether or not the existence of MAS is in accordance with the existing laws.
"The matter (MAS' dissolution) was communicated by my predecessor Khalid via a letter to MAS.
"I verified that the content of the letter was consistent with the feedback from the Attorney General," he said.
StarMetro reported on June 21 MAS honorary secretary Shamsuri Suradi's call for the ministry to consult the body before deciding on its legal status.
He said both the Kampung Baru Development Act 2011 and the Capital City Act 1960, which the ministry had cited as reasons for the decision, provided no grounds for the dissolution of the body.
Meanwhile, Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) in a statement dated June 9, said all developments in the enclave needed its approval, as it had been authorised to carry out management functions in the city.
Did you find this article insightful?
67% readers found this article insightful