More allowed into Johor mosques for Friday prayers from June 26


  • Nation
  • Monday, 22 Jun 2020

JOHOR BARU: The Johor government will allow an increased number of Muslims into mosques and surau for Friday and congressional prayers from June 26.

State Islamic religious affairs committee chairman Tosrin Jarvanthi said a decree on the matter was issued by Johor's Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar.

“However, only a third of the mosques' and surau's maximum capacity should be filled by the congregation during the prayers, excluding committee members.

“Those who attend the prayers should be 15 years old and above, wear face masks, be free from any symptoms, perform ablutions at home and bring their own prayer mats,” he said in a press conference here on Monday (June 22).

He also said that the surau and mosque committee members would be in charge of selecting the congregation for every Friday prayer session.

Tosrin added that the same ruling also applies for Aidiladha prayers in mosques while surau committees would need to apply for permission from the district kadi (religious official) offices to perform the prayers.

“The process of slaughtering sacrificial animals will be limited to only 20 people at one time and we also urge that the numbers of animals sacrificed to be reduced this year, in line with the recovery movement control order (MCO).

“We also recommend that the slaughtering process be conducted at 31 licensed slaughterhouses across the state that are approved by the Johor Veterinary Services Department (JPV) and the respective district kadi offices,” he added.

He stressed that mosques and surau that do not have a proper slaughtering area or wish to perform the process elsewhere must first get a permit from JPV and the kadi office two weeks before Aidiladha, which is expected to fall on July 31.

He added that the ruling on the matter was effective for a certain period of time until further instructions from the National Security Council and the Health Ministry.

Tosrin also said other activities within the premises of the mosques and surau such as religious talks, classes and Quran recitals would also be allowed but must be limited to 30 minutes.

Earlier this month, the state government only allowed 40 people to attend Friday and congressional prayers at mosques and surau during the recovery MCO.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Amanah to hold talks with Barisan on state polls, says Khalid
PM Anwar unveils Malaysia Madani logo
Zahid: RM400,000 allocated to repair collapsed jetty in Semporna
Sabah lawyers to pursue judicial review of 40% special grant in Court of Appeal after stay decision
Comms and Digital Ministry announces RM69 fixed Internet broadband plan with speeds of up to 30Mbps for low income groups
Malaysia condemns Israel’s relentless suppression campaign against Palestinians
Viral photo of floods inaccurate, situation under control, says Kinabatangan disaster centre
1MDB trial: Witness surprised at Jho Low's denial over communication on managing Najib's AmBank accounts
King congratulates Hamidin on being elected as Fifa Council Member
Mohammad Agus is Community Communications Dept DG

Others Also Read