We’ll sack Muhyiddin, says Dr M


PETALING JAYA: Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad says Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia wants to sack Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin from the party but that it would be done in a proper way.

“When we want to sack him, we will have a proper sitting of the Supreme Council,” he told a press conference at the party headquarters yesterday.

He had been asked if they would want to sack Muhyiddin for taking Bersatu out of Pakatan with the Supreme Council’s approval.

When asked if he would meet Muhyiddin, who is Bersatu president, to settle their differences, Dr Mahathir said that he was told that Muhyiddin was being quarantined.

“Somebody with Covid-19 was near. Must be less than one metre. So now he is not able to see anybody for 14 days,” he said sarcastically. Dr Mahathir, who was given termination letters by the executive secretary Kapt (R) Muhammad Suhaimi Yahya, along with four other former party leaders and MPs, said that he came to the Bersatu headquarters here to discuss the letter.

“Suhaimi said that he will meet me but then he said he is waiting for Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainuddin but both did not turn up.

“I did not expect to do this press conference and then I was told that Hamzah was holding a PC at another place.

“The executive secretary seems to be more powerful than me as the chairman and his work is actually just wiping and arranging tables for meetings.

“I now sack Suhaimi and appoint Datuk Shazmi Miah from Bersatu Kelantan to replace him as the new executive secretary.

“Bersatu has rules on Umno members who want to join the party. They must quit Umno and then apply to Bersatu but they cannot hold any positions.

“Due to that, Hamzah (a former Umno member) cannot be the secretary-general. The secretary-general is still Datuk Marzuki Yahya.

“Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has made many mistakes,” said Dr Mahathir to a room of crowded media personnel.

Despite police presence and advice to maintain social distancing, Dr Mahathir’s press conference saw a roomful of jostling media personnel.The Langkawi MP maintained that he was still Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia chairman.

“I am still the chairman. Please remember that. Because when they tried to remove me, it was not valid,” he told reporters.

When asked if he would bring matters of the party to the court, Dr Mahathir said they were worried about the recent deal with Riza Aziz.

He was referring to the case of Riza Aziz who was recently granted a discharge not amounting to an acquittal by the Sessions Courts on money laundering charges related to the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) scandal.

“It was not a plea bargain. It was just a special arrangement in favour of the stepson of Datuk Seri Najib (Tun Razak).

“We are very concerned about going to the courts because we might come up against decisions, which are unusual. But of course that is going to be the new normal.

“The new normal is quite different from the old normal. We are people belonging to the old normal. You see me, I’m already more than 90 years old, so I belong to the old normal. But new normal is very difficult for us,” he said.

On whether they would file a complaint with the Registrar of Societies, Dr Mahathir said that they came up with a statement, which was unprecedented.

The Registrar of Societies (ROS), in a letter on May 5, said that Dr Mahathir was no longer the chairman of the party, following his resignation as party chairman and prime minister on Feb 24.

“We have rejected the finding of the ROS. So now we have to be very careful about referring to people with strong standing in the government,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Dhaya Maju gets ad interim injunction until July 26
Man gets seven months' jail for threatening mother with knife
Body of man found in Batu Pahat lake
YTL: Audit conducted shows smartphones given out for home-based learning are safe to use
Taxis, e-hailing vehicles allowed to travel between greater KK districts
Covid-19: About one million shots administered by private sector so far
Health Dept investigating alleged Father's Day gathering at deputy minister's house
Health Ministry: 21 new Covid-19 clusters, 13 from workplaces
Cops arrest man who allegedly fed alcohol to baby
Selangor reps from both sides agree that state assembly should reconvene soon

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers