JOHOR BARU: Lorry drivers who used to be stuck for hours at the Johor Causeway and Second Link are having a “breeze”.
There is hardly any traffic at the border crossings due to travel restrictions imposed by Malaysia and Singapore.
Lorries are usually stuck for two to four hours and this can sometimes stretch up to half a day due to the huge volume of vehicles during long weekends and festive seasons.
Johor Lorry Operations Association president Novan Hing said since the movement control order (MCO) began on March 18, there were no complaints about traffic congestion on the Causeway.
“There are now an average of 2,000 lorries using both land crossings daily.
Previously, it was 5,000 to 6,000 lorries a day, ” he said, adding that due to the MCO on the Malaysian side and the circuit breaker in the republic, only lorries were travelling between both countries.Asked about complaints that scanners frequently broke down at the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex here, he said the major complaints about scanners breaking down and causing massive jams were at the end of last year.Malaysia’s conditional MCO will end on June 9 while Singapore’s circuit breaker will last until June 1.
State Public Works, Infrastructure and Transportation Committee chairman Mohd Solihan Badri said maintenance work on both the CIQs were on-going.
“The respective agencies are tasked with maintaining the roads and buildings.
“We have requested additional funds for the CIQs but they have yet to be approved as these complexes come under the purview of the Federal Government, ” he said.
Since April 24, services provided by the Immigration Department and other agencies at the Johor Causeway have been revised from 24 hours to 12 hours. The CIQ now operates from 7am to 7pm. Operations at the Second Link remains unchanged, which is 24 hours.
Did you find this article insightful?
57% readers found this article insightful