Special task force to traffickers: You shall not pass


PETALING JAYA: A special task force, comprising multiple enforcement agencies, has successfully been blocking routes used by illegal migrants and traffickers to enter the country, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

The Defence Minister noted that this was the first time such a task force was set up to block illegal avenues along the country’s porous sea and land borders.

The task force, comprising uniformed enforcement agencies, is lead by the Armed Forces.

“I have not made this public but we have already arrested those traffickers (tekong) who have tried to bring in migrants using these illegal routes, ” he said during his daily briefing on the conditional movement control order (MCO) yesterday.

Ismail Sabri said Malaysia had closed its borders to foreigners and having a family in the country was not an excuse for them to come.

Meanwhile, he said clusters of migrant workers with Covid-19 originated from outsiders.

“For example, in the case of the cluster of foreign workers in Rembau, a clerk from outside had visited them, probably on salary matters, and infected them, ” he said.

Ismail Sabri said construction workers in Setia Alam were found to be positive after their employer brought them for testing as part of the SOP before they could continue to work.

On Saturday, fifty-three foreign workers tested positive for Covid-19 at a factory in Pedas, Rembau. Seven more in the same cluster were Malaysians.

The Setia Alam cluster had 12 migrant workers testing positive.

Ismail Sabri said he would propose for migrant workers to have identification tags to show they had been screened and were Covid-19 free.

Under the conditional MCO, the government had made it compulsory for all migrant workers returning to work to undergo Covid-19 screening.

On another issue, Ismail Sabri said the enhanced MCO on the areas surrounding the Jalan Othman market would affect 2,900 people in business and residential premises.

“The government asked all residents to keep calm and extend their full cooperation.

“All residents will be screened and food packs will be distributed to the residents, ” he said.

Parts of Petaling Jaya Old Town have been put under enhanced MCO as of May 10 after the authorities found 26 Covid-19 positive cases involving market workers.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

MCO , corona virus ,

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

79% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Covid-19: Staff of two private hospitals in KL to be vaccinated on March 1
Ismail Sabri: CMCO in Sarawak extended to March 15
Covid-19: Cases up by 2,253 bringing total to 295,951 (updated daily)
Covid-19: 2,253 new cases, 11 more deaths bring total fatalities to 1,111
MCA initiated donation drive raises RM50,000 for accident victim's family
Fuel prices Feb 27-March 3: RON97, RON95 up five sen, diesel unchanged
Doctor loses RM72,000 in loan scam in Melaka
Survey finds M'sian varsities adapted well to disruption by pandemic
Man nabbed attempting to smuggle 6kg of fish maw using courier services
Insurance agent duped of RM250k in loan scam

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers