Govt projects to resume work in S'wak's green zones


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 06 May 2020

amar

KUCHING: Sarawak will allow several government projects in green zones to resume work on May 10, says Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah.

The Deputy Chief Minister said 42 state and Federal Government-funded projects with a total cost of RM16.6bil had been identified.

He said they included projects under the state Utilities Ministry, Local Government and Housing Ministry, Public Works Department, Drainage and Irrigation Department and Regional Corridor Development Authority (Recoda).

"These projects were identified by the green zone project committee chaired by the state secretary based on several criteria.

"Among other things, the projects must be located in green districts, they must exclude entry of workers, materials and machinery from outside the green zones, their workers must all be locals from within the green zones, and the projects must have reached physical progress of 90% or more," he said at the state disaster management committee's daily Covid-19 briefing here on Wednesday (May 6).

Uggah also said another 59 rural transformation projects worth a total RM22.8bil had also been identified to restart work on May 10.

He said these projects were implemented under the state Rural Water Supply Department, Local Government and Housing Ministry, Public Works Department, Drainage and Irrigation Department, Land Custody and Development Authority and Sarawak Energy Bhd.

He added that the contractors involved in the projects were required to submit a health plan to the state disaster management committee before starting work.

"This is in compliance with the Sarawak Protection of Public Health (Measures on the Carrying Out of Activities in Infected Local Areas) Order 2020, and we will monitor the implementation of the plan," he said.

The order, which was issued by state Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Dr Sim Kui Hian, was gazetted on May 4 and will be in force until May 12.

Meanwhile, Uggah said Sarawak reported 11 new Covid-19 cases on Wednesday (May 6), bringing the state's tally of confirmed infections to 536.

Eight of the new cases came from the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) cluster, he said.

He added that 26 cases had recovered, with 25 discharged from SGH here and one from Bintulu Hospital.

"Out of the total number of cases in Sarawak, 62.3% have now recovered and returned home," he said.

On the SGH cluster, state health director Dr Chin Zin Hing said the eight new cases were detected as a result of mass screening of the hospital's clinical staff.

"From our findings, a lot of cases at SGH are asymptomatic, so we need to do mass screening to pick up cases.

"Those who tested positive will be treated and their contacts traced. We hope with this we can cut the transmission at SGH," he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Body of second drowning victim in Padas river found
Immigration nabs factory owner, 45 foreign nationals in raid
Sabah govt forms committee to handle, monitor flash floods, says Bung Moktar
Covid-19: Khairy urges pharmacists to guide Malaysians into endemic phase
Mosti aims for 5,000 employment opportunities in 2022
Over RM30bil in economic grants, subsidies discussed at Pakatan-Finance Ministry meeting ahead of Budget 2022
Covid-19: Almost 45% of eligible Orang Asli fully vaccinated, says Jakoa DG
Unfair to make seniors go for medical check-up before driving licence renewal, says group
Investigators seize luxury vehicles, RM50,000 cash in probe on three MACC officers, sources say
King and Queen visit Malaysian High Commission in UK

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers