PETALING JAYA: Social distancing will be implemented in public transport from Monday (May 4), says Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
The Defence Minister said all public transport services will resume on Monday and the operating hours will be similar to those in practice before the movement control order (MCO) was enforced.
"This is to ease the commute of those working to their offices. But commuters and operators of public transport are reminded to follow the guidelines set by the government, including to ensure there is social distancing and that personal hygiene is observed.
"To ensure that social distancing is observed in public transport vehicles, the number of passengers will be limited to half the normal capacity of each vehicle. For example, if a bus can normally fit 40 passengers, it can only take 20 passengers now," said Ismail in a press conference on Sunday (May 3).
For private vehicles, he said that a maximum of four people can now travel together in one vehicle.
"However they must be from one family living in the same house. As we know, there is no social distancing within a household so that is why the government has decided to allow this," he said.
He added action would be taken against a person who travels with a passenger who did not live within the same household while the conditional movement control order (MCO) period was still enforced.
Ismail said that as of Saturday (May 2), 414 individuals had been arrested for violating the MCO, taking the cumulative number of arrests to 23,680.
The police and army conducted checks on 552,999 vehicles at 823 roadblocks around the country on Saturday, he added.
He said that the Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry (Mosti) has also developed MyTrace in addition to the MySejahtera app, which would enable the government to trace contacts of those diagnosed with Covid-19.
Ismail Sabri added that the government was aiming for at least 60% of smartphone users in the country to use the application.