Kuantan MP charged with spreading fake news


Day in court: Fuziah arriving at the Johor Baru Magistrate Court with her husband Russly.

JOHOR BARU: Kuantan MP Fuziah Salleh was charged at the Magistrate’s Court here for allegedly making a statement that could cause public fear via her Facebook page.

The 61-year-old former deputy minister nodded her head and pleaded not guilty after a court interpreter read out the charge to her in front of magistrate R. Salini yesterday.

The offence was allegedly committed in Jalan Tasek Utara Kuarters, Taman Imigresen, Johor Baru at about 10pm on April 9.

The accused had allegedly come out with a statement using the Facebook account under the name “Fuziah Salleh” with the link https://www.facebook.com/YBFuziahSalleh that could cause fear or alarm to the public.

The act is an offence under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code which carries imprisonment of up to two years, a fine or both, upon conviction.

The prosecution was represented by deputy prosecution officer Nor Azizah Mohamad while Fuziah was represented by lawyers Hassan Abdul Karim and John Fernandez.Nor Azizah requested a RM10,000 bail but the court granted bail at RM3,000 in one surety.

The court then set June 16 for re-mention.

Earlier, during the proceeding, Hassan pleaded to the court for the case to be dropped, saying his client had been “ambushed” because she was not given notice to appear in the court to be charged under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code.

However, DPP Nor Azizah said the notice was given to the accused on Tuesday, which stated that she would be charged under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code.

Fuziah also signed the notice, she said.

Fuziah, who wore a maroon baju kurung, arrived at the court lobby at about 8.20am accompanied by her husband Russly Abdul Rahman, 63.

It was reported that Bukit Aman had already taken Fuziah’s statement in relation to the case.

Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Huzir Mohamed had said investigations began on April 10 after the police were alerted to a video that was said to have been uploaded on Fuziah’s Facebook page, claiming there was a flood of Malaysians at Bangunan Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine Complex in Johor Baru.

“The Johor Immigration Department director denied the incident and lodged a report on the matter, ” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

81% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Tebrau MP says PM understands his need to solve issues faced by the people
Johor aims to become major green energy producer with RM1.4bil solar plant in Pengerang
Cops call time on live band session in Batu Pahat restaurant, 88 nabbed for violating MCO
Sarawak PKR: We can't stop members if they wish to leave party
Azmin confirms two PKR MPs have quit the party, now support Perikatan govt
Covid-19: Sabah govt ready to help targeted groups register for vaccination
Johor PKR deputy chief confirms Tebrau MP has quit the party
I have support of two more Opposition MPs, says PM
Salahuddin thanks trio for their contributions to Amanah
‘Tan Sri’, ‘Datuk’ drug lords hiding behind legitimate businesses, says Bukit Aman

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers