Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail said the decision was made in response to complaints, especially from non-Muslim food traders, on the 12pm-7pm opening hours set by some local authorities.
"The state government is concerned and responsive towards complaints from the people, regardless of their racial or occupational backgrounds.
"Thus today's decision is considered fair and reasonable.
"With this, I hope it's well-accepted by non-Muslim food traders and they continue their business. However, they must still adhere to rules that have been set," he said in a statement on Friday (April 24).
Food premises allowed to operate must be within shoplots and can only conduct sales via takeaway, drive-through and delivery.
Wan Rosdy said as with all decisions made previously, the objective was to break the Covid-19 chain of infection.
The Kuantan Municipal Council (MPK) had, in a notice dated April 23, ordered food premises operating out of shoplots to operate only from noon to 7pm.
This caused a lot of unhappiness, especially since fast food restaurants were allowed to operate from noon to midnight.
Previously, all eateries were operating from 7am to 7pm during the MCO period.
On April 12, those in the hawker category, including warung and stalls, were not allowed to operate anymore. Only restaurants within shoplots were allowed to open.
Did you find this article insightful?
80% readers found this article insightful