More emphasis on Cuti-Cuti Malaysia to revive tourism sector


PETALING JAYA: The Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry will look into refocusing its efforts on promoting domestic tourism in an attempt to revive the sector.

Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri (pic) said since the Visit Malaysia Year 2020 campaign was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there would be more emphasis on the Cuti-Cuti Malaysia campaign.

She said while the people’s health was a priority, the country’s economy could not be neglected.

“We are strategising on various aspects.



“Not only are we looking at tourism spots in rural areas or areas

that have never been explored, but we are also looking into storytelling,” she said during the “Covid-19 Bread & Butter Series: Protecting the Tourism Workforce” webinar on Tuesday.

The online forum -- the first in a three-part series – was organised by the Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents in collaboration with Star Media Group.

Nancy said industry players would need to work with them in providing more creative and innovative programmes.She said the ministry also hoped to enhance the quality of tourism services through online training for the sector’s manpower.“We have submitted proposals through the Economic Action Council for minimum training allowances to run the online training to assist tourist guides.

“A list of concerns of industry players was also brought to the attention of the Finance Ministry last week,” she said, adding that among the requests was to exempt licensing fees for tourist guides, tour operators and travel agencies.

Nancy said they were also looking at ways to restore the confidence of tourists, including locals, to travel again.

Malaysian Employers Federation executive director Datuk Shamsuddin Bardan said as of last month, over 5,000 employees in the tourism industry had been retrenched, the biggest sector affected so far.

He said it was just the tip of the iceberg as the numbers would rise with several big hotels closing down.Apple Vacations group managing director Datuk Seri Koh Yock Heng said manpower took up about 65% of the company’s costs.

He said the pandemic had started to affect the sector in January and by March, about 40% of companies had already implemented pay cuts or unpaid leave.

“We believe many others may consider a retrenchment exercise in the near future as a medium-sized agency will only be able to cope for two to three months at the most,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Covid-19 , Tourism Industry , Nancy Shukri , MEF

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

47% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Covid-19: About 360 Top Glove employees taken by bus for treatment at hospitals after testing positive
Covid-19: Selangor Zakat Board confirms employee tested positive
GrabFood rider determined to do his job despite being involved in harrowing accident
Eateries, convenience stores in Sabah must still operate until 10pm for now, says Masidi
Local man, foreign woman arrested for allegedly dumping dead baby near mosque
Covid-19: M'sian virologist joins international commission probing coronavirus origins
Covid-19: Four new clusters identified, three come to an end, says Health DG
Cops hunting down snatch thieves following viral video
Six SMK Kuala Besut students win international award for short video
Covid-19: More than 1k cases linked to Teratai cluster, closure of factories will enable thorough screening, says Health DG

Stories You'll Enjoy