Shafie hopes PN govt will continue progress made over MA63 issues


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah hopes the new Perikatan Nasional government will maintain or build on the progress achieved in getting back Sabah and Sarawak's state rights under the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63).

Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal (pic) said while he welcomed the new portfolio set up to look into Sabah and Sarawak issues following the formation of Perikatan, he was concerned about what had been agreed upon with the previous government.

"This new portfolio would mean there will be a new committee, but I hope the resolutions achieved previously can be retained," he said during his winding-up speech at the state assembly sitting here on Tuesday (April 21).

Under the Pakatan Harapan administration, 17 out of the 21 issues under MA63 had been resolved.

Among the issues resolved previously include land and electricity matters, while those not yet achieved include the 20% oil royalty and return of 40% revenue owed to Sabah.

Shafie also said he hoped there would be a new term of reference on MA63.

On other matters, the Senallang assemblyman said Sabah expected higher revenue with the implementation of the petroleum product sales tax that comes into effect this month.

He said they were targeting the first round of tax collection on or before May 28 from at least seven out of the nine petroleum companies it had production-sharing contracts with.

Sarawak implemented a similar sales tax in January last year.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

75% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Negri MB: RM500 aid for flood victims is all we can afford
Cops nab man over snatch theft attempt at JB petrol station
Opposition MPs unhappy with Speaker’s rigid ‘time-keeper’ rules
Cops arrest four Myanmar nationals in banana plantation slashing case
Colombian duo nabbed over string of thefts in KL
Personnel conducting intelligence work not required to wear bulletproof vest, says DIG
Immigration syndicate blitz: MACC arrests three foreign worker agents
Jasa to be rebranded as J-Com, RM85.5mil allocation to be slashed, says minister
Manhunt on for two drug smugglers; RM2.4mil worth of drugs seized
Investigations into Teoh Beng Hock's death reopened, says Home Ministry

Stories You'll Enjoy