IPOH: More homeless folk will be placed at the state’s transit centre during the movement control order (MCO) following concerns expressed by volunteer groups.
State Women Development, Family and Social Welfare committee chairman Datuk Dr Wan Norashikin Wan Noordin said 49 homeless people were now staying at the centre located at the Badminton Arena in Jalan Kompleks Sukan since Saturday.
“At around 6pm on Saturday, some 139 officers from various agencies visited several areas such as Taman Kanak Kanak and Jalan Dato Onn Jaafar to ask the homeless folk to go to the centre.
“Upon arriving, all 49 were screened for health and registration status, ” she told reporters after visiting the centre yesterday.
On Wednesday, Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu apologised for the late response in helping the homeless in the state.
It was reported by StarMetro earlier that some volunteer groups were worried about the number of homeless people in the city centre during the MCO.
Wan Norashikin said another three homeless people from the Muallim and Kampar districts would be brought to the centre.
“Currently, we have 77 units of cubicles installed at the centre – 64 for men and the rest for women.
“We have over 40 officers from various agencies, such as the Welfare Department, police and the Ipoh City Council assigned to monitor the situation 24 hours, ” she said.
The youngest person at the centre is a 21-year-old man while the oldest is a 78-year-old man.
“They will be given at least five meals a day and access to clean bathrooms. We have programmes for them, such as educating them about Covid-19 and the importance of maintaining personal hygiene.
“We are thankful for the support we received from non-governmental groups involved in preparing aid for the homeless, ” she said.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful