JOHOR BARU: The state government has decided not to hold any Ramadan bazaars this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, says Johor health and environment committee chairman R. Vidyananthan.
He said in a statement on Tuesday (April 14) that this is in line with the Federal Government’s advice on the matter and added that the decision was made to stop the spread of the outbreak.
“The decision was made as a preventive measure due to the possibility of infection caused by close contact among people, thus increasing the risk to bazaar visitors and the general public, ” said Vidyananthan.
He added that the government urged the traders to conduct their business online.
“This is a chance for business owners to venture into the vast online market, ” added Vidyananthan.
Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar had also previously urged authorities not to hold Ramadan bazaars due to the Covid-19 outbreak.
His Majesty said new cases were being detected on a daily basis and added that now was not the time to hold any event involving mass gatherings.
“The complete effect of the movement control order must be achieved first and this must be our priority and concern. The Ramadan bazaar can wait.
“If we ignore the Movement Control Order (MCO), the virus will spread and further strain the resources of our healthcare system, putting our healthcare workers and other frontliners at even greater risk, ” he said in a statement posted his official Facebook page on Thursday (April 2).
His Majesty added that the rakyat must be patient, stay at home and avoid any contact with others until the authorities gave the all-clear.
Meanwhile on another matter, Vidyananthan said that the Johor National Security Council had received 1,299 inquiries during Phase 1 and phase 2 of the MCO and added that 20.8% of the calls are regarding Malaysian workers in Singapore.
For any inquiries regarding Covid-19 issues in the state, the public can call 07-2908008/ 8007.