KUALA LUMPUR: More buildings that are occupied by foreigners in the city are expected to be placed under the enhanced movement control order (MCO) soon, says Tan Sri Annuar Musa.
The Federal Territories Minister said these areas posed a high-risk of Covid-19 transmission among the residents.
He said that out of 153 new infections recorded on Sunday (April 12), 44 were from the Federal Territories, adding that several parliamentary constituencies in the city were already classified as a red zone.
"An area is classified as a red zone if it recorded more than 20 infections per 100,000 residents. This is important because the number of infections alone do not correctly portray the actual situation," he said during a live press conference on Facebook Monday (April 13).
Annuar added that Lembah Pantai had recorded 102 cases of Covid-19, Putrajaya (42) and Kepong (23), all of which had been classified as red zone.
Last week, two flats - Selangor Mansion and Malayan Mansion in Jalan Masjid India - were placed under enhanced MCO due to the high number of Covid-19 cases detected there, a week after the order was issued for Menara City One.
Authorities have said the buildings would remain under lockdown until all residents had been tested for Covid-19, which could take up to two weeks.
The minister said a task force was also formed to coordinate efforts to rescue the homeless in the city and to prepare them to get jobs.
"The task force will meet daily to come up with the short-term and long-term plans for the homeless.
"It will also conduct health and psychology assessment for the homeless and will work closely with non-governmental organisations (NGO)," he said, adding that some 800 homeless had been relocated to various transit centres in the city.
On Ramadan bazaars, Annuar said a meeting involving 100 representatives from various traders associations was held on Sunday (April 12).
He said all agreed that the bazaars to be cancelled, to be replaced with three different concepts instead - drive-thru, pick-and-pack, and e-hailing services.
He said he would meet with the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) and Putrajaya Corporation (PPj) on Thursday (April 16) to discuss the details of the three alternative concepts.
"We need to identify the locations, the layout of the stalls, number of traders and ensure compliance of the social distancing measure," he said.
"All payments that have been made by the traders such as the deposits, would be carried forward to next year," he added.
Under the drive-thru concept, traders would be grouped into segments and food would be pre-packed.
The pick-and-pack concept allows customers to make their pre-orders online with the traders through platforms provided by local authorities, with payment done online.
The collection of food will be done in places determined by local authorities.
Did you find this article insightful?
53% readers found this article insightful