“The three alternative concepts are drive-thru, pick and pack, and e-hailing services,” said the Federal Territories Minister via a live streaming session on Facebook yesterday.
“Under the drive-thru concept, traders will be grouped into segments and food will be prepacked.
“There will be a 20m gap between canopies and the layout will be done to ensure traffic circulation doesn’t cause obstruction.
“Enforcement officers will also be present to ensure smooth traffic flow and only one vehicle is at a stall at any given time,” Annuar said, adding that the two suitable locations identified so far are Bukit Jalil National Stadium in Kuala Lumpur and Boulevard Presint 2 in Putrajaya.
The pick-and-pack concept allows customers to make their pre-orders online with the traders through platforms provided by the local authorities, with payment done online.
“The collection of food will be done at places determined by the local authorities. The e-hailing platform will see the local authorities registering the traders via platforms such as Grab Food and Food Panda,” he said, adding that the local authorities under the ministry’s purview are Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), Putrajaya Corporation (PPj), and Labuan Corporation (PL).
Annuar said the details of the three concepts would be fine-tuned by the local authorities, and that an incentive would be drawn up to encourage traders to adopt the new move.
“All three concepts have been approved by the Cabinet and adhere to the Health Ministry’s guidelines, said Annuar, who added that DBKL, PPj and PL will refund the related fees to Ramadan bazaar traders and organisers whose payments had been approved earlier.
The Ramadan bazaar would have involved 2,673 traders across 66 locations in Kuala Lumpur, 300 traders at a single location in Putrajaya, and 215 across three locations in Labuan.
Registration for the new concepts will begin on April 13 and end on April 19, with details at www.facebook.com/KemWP.