KOTA KINABALU: Nine youths playing sepak takraw and a farmer at a cockfighting session were among 40 people arrested so far for allegedly violating the movement control order (MCO) in Sabah.
Sabah police chief Commissioner Datuk Zaini Jass said that the youths were caught playing sepak takraw at Kg Wonod in Sabah’s central Telupid district on Sunday (March 29) while the 58-year-old farmer was caught at a cockfighting ring where some others managed to flee.
On Monday (March 30), Comm Zaini said police detained eight people who refused to stay at home under the MCO.
He said those detained were in two cars in the south-western Beaufort area.
“I am wondering why these people just don’t want to stay at home. These are small towns but they still want to go out, ” he told reporters after attending the state National Security Council meeting chaired by Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal.
However, he said that compliance with the MCO was improving with Sabah recording about 95% compliance.
The best compliance was in the Kota Belud district with about 98% while the Federal Territory of Labuan was the worst at around 92%.
He said the MCO was widely observed by people living in various squatter areas as well as small settlements in most districts in Sabah.
“It is under control, there is not much problem, ” he said.
For residents of Pulau Gaya, whose movements to the mainland have been controlled, he said a schedule has been worked out for them to obtain necessities and allow for only certain boats to leave the villages on the islands.
“Recently, rations have been sent in and there is no immediate need for them to come to the mainland, ” he said, adding that they have spoken to the ketua kampung in the island to allow certain designated people to go to the mainland to buy essential items.
Earlier, Shafie handed out RM10mil state assistance for 10 government frontline organisations for their food supplies during the MCO.
The organisations included the police, Immigration, Health Department, Rela, Maritime, Customs and Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom), which were each given RM1mil under the state’s Covid-19 assistance package.