KOTA KINABALU: Sabah has activated all its district natural disaster operations centres in anticipation of a rise in Covid-19 cases, says Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal (pic).
“We want them to take precautionary measures and prepare in the event such cases spread to the district, ” he told reporters after chairing the state National Security Council meeting here Monday (March 30).
So far, 13 of the state’s 25 districts had reported cases of Covid-19 but most of the 197 cases (as of March 29) were reported in major towns such as Tawau, Lahad Datu and Kota Kinabalu.
He said the district offices should also identify and assist in identifying people in remote areas in their district to send in food supplies by the state during the current movement control order (MCO).
Shafie also said that non-governmental organisations would have to use the existing government machinery to assist people.
“We don’t want too many people moving during the MCO period, ” he said, adding that the measure was part of efforts to ensure that the virus does not spread.
He said the state government has also decided for the temporary closure of operations of plantations and oil palm mills in six east coastal districts - Tawau, Lahad Datu, Kalabakan, Kinabtangan, Semporna and Kunak during the MCO.
On request by fast food operators to allow for 24-hour operations, he said they would be allowed operations for 12 hours.
On efforts to carry out disinfection in public areas, he said that the focus was still in Covid-19 hotspots. He said it would be expanded to other areas like schools, hostels, community halls, offices, religious places among others.
“Sabah is a big state, we have to see if we can reach a larger area, ” he said when asked whether disinfection operations would be carried out at housing areas.
Did you find this article insightful?
83% readers found this article insightful