SOP being drafted for areas considered as red zones


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 25 Mar 2020

PUTRAJAYA: A standard operating procedure (SOP) is being formulated for areas considered as red zones for Covid-19, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

The matter is being discussed by the National Security Council, along with Health Ministry, police and armed forces.

“We will come out with a more detailed SOP for Covid-19 red zones, ” he said yesterday.

The Defence Minister was asked if areas that were considered red zones be declared as lockdown areas. According to the Health Ministry, any area that has more than 40 Covid-19 cases is classified as a red zone.

As of yesterday, Titiwangsa, Petaling Jaya, Hulu Langat, Lembah Pantai, Seremban and Johor Baru are listed as red zone areas.

Ismail Sabri said many things needed to be considered to ensure focused action could be taken in an area of concern.

“For example, Gombak is a red zone area but its MP pointed out that the constituency is a large area.

“What needs to be done if Gombak is a red zone is to identify the exact location where there is a high number of cases so that we can focus on tackling the issue and ensuring compliance of MCO (movement control order), ” he said.

On another matter, Ismail Sabri said police arrested 28 people for failing to comply with the MCO as authorities began to take stern action against those who violate the order.He said 695 investigation papers had been opened and 46 cases were under investigation since the order was enforced on March 18.

“We have warned the public that the police will go from advising them to stay at home to taking action against those who do not. Our advice is that the public should comply with the MCO to avoid action and arrest by the police, ” he said.He said the special committee looking into non-health-related matters pertaining to Covid-19 was also briefed by the Communications and Multimedia Ministry on action taken against those who spread fake news.

The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission has so far investigated 85 cases related to fake news on Covid-19.

Six individuals have been taken to court.

Article type: free
User access status:

Battling Covid-19

   

What do you think of this article?

It is insightful
Not in my interest

100% readers found this article insightful

Across The Star Online


Life Inspired has a chic new look

2020 is all about change, and Life Inspired did just that with a fresh makeover!

This month, we speak to 3 female icons about empowerment and more - read it for FREE this week.