Report: Participant in Indonesian tabligh says won't return until MCO lifted


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 19 Mar 2020

PETALING JAYA: As the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic intensifies, a Malaysian participant at an international tabligh gathering at South Sulawesi, Indonesia says he will not return until the movement control order (MCO) is lifted at the end of the month.

According to news portal Malaysiakini, the businessman from Kuching, who only wanted to be known as “Ustaz Addie”, said he had been in Indonesia for two weeks before making his way to Gowa, Makassar, to join in the three-day World Ijitma Asia Zone (2020) gathering.

"Maybe I will go to Jakarta after this... if it is safe for me to find products to sell (back home).

"If it's not safe, then I will stay in Pontianak," he said, referring to the capital of Indonesia's West Kalimantan.

Addie, who regularly updates on his journey to Gowa on social media, deleted several posts after receiving public criticism.

"Yes (I deleted)...I don't want to promote more sins with the people's criticisms," he was quoted as saying.

It was previously reported that at least 80 Malaysians were believed to be in Gowa for the gathering, which has been called off after organisers agreed to postpone it.

Foreign Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein has stated that all Malaysians returning to the country must undergo health screening and self-quarantine for 14 days.

The two-week MCO, which commenced on March 18, will end on March 31.

Article type: free
User access status:

Covid-19 , MCO , Tabligh , Indonesia

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online