KOTA KINABALU: Confusion over a "fake" memo led to civil servants turning up for work on Monday (March 16) at the Sabah state administrative building here only to be barred into entering.
The civil servants, some who turned up as early as 6.30am to the 32-storey building that houses the Chief Minister's Office, were told by security guards it will only be reopened after noon.
Some left while others waited outside, as word spread that the building was temporarily closed due to disinfection activities.
This follows an unsigned memo by the State Secretary’s office, which had stated that the building would be closed for one day on Monday to facilitate works to disinfect the building.
The memo released at 8pm on Sunday stated that one of the maintenance workers, who attended the tabligh gathering in Seri Petaling Mosque in Kuala Lumpur earlier this month, was found to be positive with Covid-19.
However, Sabah State Secretary Datuk Safar Untong said late Sunday (March 15) night that the memo was fake and explained that it was work as usual at the administrative building on Monday.
“I was bit confused. The memo that was spread around stating that the building would close was said to be false.
“I came to work as usual, but I was told we cannot go in as health department officials were carrying out activities to disinfect the building, ” a state civil servant, who declined to be named, said.
Most of the civil servants and others working at the building said that they were confused over temporary closure.
Did you find this article insightful?