Single mum nabbed for alleged child abuse in Sibu


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 18 Feb 2020

SIBU: A single mother has been held in custody for allegedly abusing her two-year-old daughter in a rented house here.

The case came to light when the 31-year-old complainant, the child's aunt, told a relative to take the victim away from the care of the suspect, 35, on Dec 2 last year.

When the relative visited the child, she found the victim crying and took her away.

Sibu OCPD Asst Comm Stanley Johnathan Ringgit said the relative claimed there were bruises on the victim's cheeks and forehead.

He said the complainant, who is the sister of the suspect's former boyfriend, did not make a police report then because she was unsure of the procedure.

The police report was only filed on Monday (Feb 17), which then led to the suspect's arrest on the same day.

"On the bruises, the suspect claimed that her daughter fell down and that she did not hit her," ACP Stanley said on Tuesday (Feb 18).

He said the victim had not been cared for by the suspect since December last year.

"The suspect was a widow before getting acquainted with her ex-boyfriend in 2017. Both were unmarried but had stayed together since August," he added.

They, however, split after her boyfriend served a one-year jail term for a criminal offence. He was released from prison in late January

this year.

"The victim had undergone a medical examination. No injuries were found on the victim as the incident had happened quite sometime back," he said.

The case is being investigated under Section 31(1)(a)of the Child Act 2001.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online