Four more recover from Covid-19


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 15 Feb 2020

SUNGAI BULOH: Four more Chinese nationals have been discharged from Hospital Sungai Buloh, bringing the total to seven, says the Health Ministry.

The four are a 65-year-old woman, her 36-year-old daughter-in-law, and grandsons aged two and 11.

All had come to Malaysia as tourists during Chinese New Year and were discharged yesterday.

On Jan 25, Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said that Malaysian authorities were alerted by their Singaporean counterparts that four family members of an infected Chinese national had crossed over from Singapore.

The elderly woman and the two children were put in the isolation ward for about three weeks at Hospital Sungai Buloh.

They were the first three cases of Covid-19 (novel coronavirus) detected in Malaysia.

The daughter-in-law was allowed to be at the hospital to be with her children.

China’s Ambassador to Malaysia Bai Tian, who visited them at the hospital, said he was happy that the patients had been discharged.

“The four patients had not taken any special medication but recovered through their own immune system,” he said when met at the hospital, adding that this showed that it is not a disease to be feared.

He noted that more than 6,000 patients had recovered in China.

Bai also said that he had a “cheerful” long chat with the family.

The mother was grateful for the treatment received at the hospital and she was touched by the hospitality and care given to them.

“This is a blessing in disguise for them as they had a good experience going through the hardship and seeing the solidarity and friendship extended to them,” Bai said.

He commended the medical team for its skills, professionalism and care given to the patients, adding that the hospital was well-equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure.

State government health officials had also been very supportive, he added.

Bai said that the four people had come to Malaysia in a big group comprising grandparents, parents and two children.

They were diagnosed with Covid-19 shortly after they arrived in Johor Baru.

The father and grandfather were diagnosed in Singapore and were treated there while the four were diagnosed in Malaysia and sent to the Hospital Sungai Buloh.

Three other earlier patients in Malaysia have also recovered and been discharged from hospitals.

They were all Chinese nationals, aged four, 40 and 63.

“I want to thank the Health Ministry for its excellent preventive measures since the outbreak,” Bai said.

He also commended the ministry’s team for its successful communication as he did not see unnecessary panic in Malaysia.

“With better knowledge, this helps to mitigate the situation, ” he said.

Also present at the hospital yesterday was Deputy Health Minister Dr Lee Boon Chye, who congratulated the Hospital Sungai Buloh team for a job well done.

He said the four patients from China were given symptomatic treatment and no specific antiviral was given.

“Their immune system was able to fight it,” he said.

He said it was too early to tell which antivirals were useful and they were awaiting more results from China.

“We stand in solidarity with China. This should not be seen as a China problem but one that the world faces together, ” he said.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online