KUCHING: The state Health Department has debunked social media claims that there are novel coronavirus (Covid-19) cases in Sarawak.
Its director Dr Chin Zin Hing said a message on social media claiming that the virus had reached Sarawak was not true.
"To date, no confirmed Covid-19 cases have been reported in the state," he said in a statement on Thursday (Feb 13).
Dr Chin said 76 patients under investigation (PUI) for suspected Covid-19 had been reported in the state as of noon Wednesday (Feb 12).
Of this number, 59 cases tested negative for Covid-19 while 17 more are waiting for their results.
"The public is advised to refer to statements issued by the Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister, Health Minister or health director-general to find out the current situation on Covid-19 in Malaysia and Sarawak.
"Everyone is also reminded not to spread false news," Dr Chin said.