Paul Yong's application to transfer rape case to High Court dismissed


  • Nation
  • Monday, 10 Feb 2020

PUTRAJAYA (Bernama): The Court of Appeal here has dismissed an application by Perak executive council member Paul Yong Choo Kiong (pic) to transfer his rape case from the Sessions Court to the High Court.

The decision was a 2-1 majority by the three-member panel with Justices Yaacob Md Sam and Kamaludin Md Said deciding to dismiss the application, while Justice Rhodzariah Bujang dissented.

In the majority decision on Monday (Feb 10), Justice Yaacob said they were of the view that there was no appealable error by the Judicial Commissioner in refusing Yong's application to transfer the case to the High Court.

He subsequently affirmed the High Court's decision made on Nov 26 last year in dismissing Yong's transfer application under Section 417 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

Yong, 50, who is in charge of the state Housing, Local Government, Public Transport, Non-Islamic and Village Affairs Committee, pleaded not guilty at the Sessions Court in Ipoh, Perak to the charge of raping his 23-year old Indonesian maid.

Yong, who is also Tronoh assemblyman, is accused of committing the offence at his home in Meru Desa Park on July 7, last year between 8.15pm and 9.15pm.

Yong's counsel, Datuk Rajpal Singh, told the media on Monday that they would be filing an appeal to the Federal Court over the appellate court's decision. - Bernama

Article type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online