Ministry: MOs contracts extended


  • Nation
  • Friday, 24 Jan 2020

SIBU: The Health Ministry has decided to extend the service of medical officers who had their contracts terminated abruptly, it was announced.

Sarawak Pakatan Harapan chairman Chong Chieng Jen, who disclosed this yesterday, said the ministry made the decision following discussions between Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng and Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad.

“I brought up the matter with Lim, who then spoke with Dr Dzulkefly.

“The ministry made the decision to extend the contracts of all the affected medical officers,” he said in a statement yesterday.

With this, Chong said the issue was considered resolved and thanked the media for highlighting the matter.

The plight of four doctors came to light on Jan 18 when the Sarawak United People’s Party (SUPP) education bureau gave details on the issue.

Two of them, Dr Bong Ing Hui and Dr Wong Woan Hui, were serving at Sibu General Hospital while the other two served at Hospital Sultanah Nora Ismail in Johor and Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan in Pahang.

On Wednesday, two more medical officers and four dental officers wrote to the SUPP on their contract terminations.

SUPP took up the matter, questioning the terminations at a time when there was a shortage of specialists.

Dr Wong and Dr Bon, when contacted, said they were pleasantly surprised. They thanked the SUPP education bureau and the press for highlighting their plight.

“I have not heard the news officially. I want it in black and white,” said Dr Bong, 29.

Dr Wong, 30, said she wanted to know the term of the extension.Dudong SUPP chairman Wong Ching Yong welcomed the development but said there was a need to conduct a probe on the terminations.“The Health Ministry must do an internal investigation as to why this issue had been swept under the carpet for years,” he said.

Article type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online