Homebuyers want updates on stalled project


Airing their grievances: Ismail Sabri (third from right) meeting the homebuyers of the Residensi Jaya project at a press conference at Umno headquarters in Kuala Lumpur.

KUALA LUMPUR: Zulhilmi Harun’s dream of owning his first house was dashed when the developer of a Selangor state government-endorsed housing project had to wind up the company following a court order last October.

The father of five was among the 207 homebuyers who paid about RM25,000 towards the deposit to purchase a house under the Residensi Jaya project which was supposed to complete next year.

They, however, were left in the dark over the status of the project.

“I am disappointed since it was my dream to own a house for my family.

“We would like to know whether we will get back our deposit or whether another developer will continue with the project,” he said at a press conference organised by Parliamentary Opposition chief Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob at Umno headquarters yesterday.

The Residensi Jaya project comprises two 11-storey blocks with 394 units of houses and nine shops. The units were sold for between RM210,000 and RM250,000.

Zulhilmi also said the Selangor government was trying to “wash their hands” over the matter, as they did not give any conclusive feedback on the issue.

“Based on our last meeting on Jan 14, the state wanted us to deal with the receiver, Grant Thornton Consulting Sdn Bhd, which was appointed by the Sabah Development Bank Berhad.

“They asked us to wait for a decision by the receiver. The Selangor Housing and Property Board (LPHS) has not come forward to assist us in addressing this matter,” he said.

Ismail Sabri meanwhile hoped the state government would take full responsibility in addressing the issue.

“They cannot wash their hands because the offer letter for the project came from LPHS. I will write a letter to the Selangor government and to the Housing and Local Government Ministry to intervene in this matter although it is a state project,” he said.

Selangor Housing and Urban Living Committee chairman Haniza Talha said the project was not directly linked to the state government as it was not the developer of the project.

“We only wanted to facilitate qualified people to get their first home,” she said, adding that several discussions were held between the relevant parties since last year.

She said during the meeting, the receiver agreed to return the deposits but they were forced to take over the assets and liabilities of Jitu Enigma, the original developer, and this cannot happen overnight.

Haniza said the receiver was expected to make an announcement after the Chinese New Year celebration.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

No instruction for Wanita Umno to invite DAP to their programmes, says Noraini
Covid-19: Another million AstraZeneca vaccines to be available for opt-in registration
Former Bukit Aman senior officer probed for violating Hari Raya MCO SOP
Malaysia to voice strong stand against Israel's aggression at OIC extraordinary meeting on Sunday (May 16)
Muslims must stand united to send message of peace in response to Israel's oppression of Palestine, says Mohd Sharkar
Covid-19: 4,140 new cases bring total to 466,330
Sabah PAS’ Dr Aliakbar donates a month’s allowance to suffering Palestinians
Perak cops 'patrolling' the web to catch those attempting interdistrict travel
Health Ministry: Haziq’s death due to heart attack, not related to Covid-19 vaccine
Dr Wee: Foreign crew of vessels coming from India not allowed to sign off

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers