‘Cabinet discussed highways takeover’


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 16 Jan 2020

PUTRAJAYA: The proposed takeover of PLUS Malaysia Bhd and four other highway concessionaires was discussed by the Cabinet, Lim Guan Eng confirmed.

“The Cabinet today (yesterday) discussed many things, including the PLUS toll issue.

“If there’s any announcement, it will be in writing as it is a major announcement.

“Please wait for the written announcement to be issued,” said the Finance Minister.

He said this in a press conference after handing over RM100mil to the Islamic Development Department for use in tahfiz, religious schools and cafeteria schools at his ministry here.

On Monday, Lim said the Cabinet meeting would deliberate on the proposed acquisition of PLUS and four highways related to Gamuda Bhd in the Klang Valley.

Last month, he said a decision needed to be made quickly as the government has to pay compensation to toll operators for freezing toll hikes.

PLUS is the largest highway concessionaire in the country, operating eight expressways under five concessions.

Its highways are the 772km North-South Expressway which runs from Bukit Kayu Hitam to Johor Baru, the New Klang Valley Expressway, Federal Highway Route 2, the Seremban-Port Dickson Highway, the NSE Central Link, the Malaysia-Singapore Second Link, Lebuhraya Butterworth-Kulim and the Penang Bridge.

The four highway concessionaires under Gamuda Bhd are Lingkaran Trans Kota Holdings Bhd, Kesas Sdn Bhd, Sistem Penyuraian Trafik KL Barat Holdings Sdn Bhd and Syarikat Mengurus Air Banjir and Terowong Sdn Bhd (Smart).

On another matter, Lim said the e-Tunai Rakyat initiative received overwhelming response, with more than 200,000 applications received as of noon yesterday.

Article type: free
User access status: 3

highway concessionaires , Cabinet

   

Across The Star Online