Latheefa yet to receive notice for contempt


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 15 Jan 2020

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Latheefa Koya (pic) says she has yet to be served the notice for the contempt of court proceedings initiated by Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

“I’ll wait for the papers. They have to serve me, ” Latheefa told reporters after speaking at Bank Rakyat’s Integrity Forum 2020 here yesterday.

She was responding to reports on Monday that Najib will be initiating contempt proceedings against MACC and Latheefa for releasing nine audio recordings that allegedly linked the former premier and other high-ranking officials to a few scandals.

On Jan 8, Latheefa released recordings of private phone calls said to have taken place between Jan 5 and July 29,2016 in a press conference where she alleged that there had been “criminal conspiracy at the highest level”.

Najib’s lead counsel Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah then told the press that MACC had

committed sub judice and contempt of court by releasing the recor-dings.

Among other individuals which MACC identified in the audio recordings were said to be former MACC chief Tan Sri Dzulkifli Ahmad, Najib’s wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, former Tabung Haji chairman Datuk Seri Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim and Najib’s former principal private secretary Tan Sri Shukry Mohd Salleh.

On Monday, Latheefa also claimed that a “criminal plot” to besmirch her reputation had emerged following the commission’s disclosure of the recordings.

Latheefa said she would be leaving the matter to the police after a report was lodged against individuals who had allegedly plotted to tarnish her reputation.

“My officer has given info to the police. Her statement has been recorded, so we leave it to the police to sort it out.

“Unfortunately, I can’t reveal it (the plot). It’s a plot to tarnish my reputation; the issue is not (just) about the photo per se, ” she added.

It is believed that a photo of Latheefa has been circulating on social media since she unveiled the nine audio recordings.

The report was lodged by the anti-graft chief’s special legal officer, Sasha Lyna Abdul Latif, at the Putrajaya police headquarters at 10.30am yesterday.

Sasha Lyna said she had also handed over evidence as well as the identities of the individuals whom the MACC believed were behind the “criminal plot”.

She, however, declined to name the persons and elaborate on the evidence that were handed over to police.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Across The Star Online