BEAUFORT: Datuk Seri Najib Razak (pic) said the returning of state rights eroded or taken away by the Federal Government was being addressed by Barisan Nasional before it lost power in 2018.
The former prime minister said he initiated efforts to return the lost rights to Sabah but it could not be completed due to many technicalities that had to be overcome.
“We started the process according to Malaysia Agreement 1963 but it was delayed due to too many technicalities, ” he said at a ceramah in Kg Pimping, Membakut, here.
Najib said Sabah was always close to his heart and various initiatives had been implemented to help the people including ensuring that most teachers in the state were Sabahans.
He added that it was his idea to build the toll-free Pan Borneo Highway but lamented that the Pakatan Harapan government had derailed the project.
Urging the people to vote for Barisan’s candidate Datuk Mohamad Alamin, Najib said Mohamad was a young leader capable of raising issues affecting the people in Parliament compared to his rival Datuk Karim Bujang of Parti Warisan Sabah.
Former defence minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein meanwhile said the Barisan machinery had been working smoothly and a victory was not impossible.
“Barisan, however, needs to work hard, ” the Sembrong MP said at the Membakut Sunday market.
“But what I found since arriving here on Friday is the aspirations of the folk here.
“What they want for the future of their children is similar to us in the peninsula, ” he said.
On Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s statement that the Sabah Temporary Pass was an idea conceived by Barisan when they were the government, Hishammuddin described it as a desperate move to deflect blame.
“Any Barisan project that they continued and received a positive response, they never credited us.
“But things that they are implementing and are not accepted by the people, they blamed us, ” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?