‘Critical service incentive allowance stays’


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 09 Jan 2020

King grants PM first meeting for 2020: Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah chatting with Dr Mahathir at Istana Melawati in Putrajaya. Comptroller of the Royal Household for Istana Negara Datuk Ahmad Fadil Shamsuddin said the meeting yesterday was the first for 2020 between Sultan Abdullah and Dr Mahathir. Ahmad Fadil said the pre-Cabinet meeting was among the weekly activities or main routines of the King to discuss and exchange ideas with the Prime Minister. — Bernama

PETALING JAYA: The Critical Service Incentive Allowance for civil servants will stay and its status will only be decided by the Cabinet at the end of the year, sources said.

The first Cabinet meeting of the year yesterday discussed at length on the premature announcement of the elimination of the allowance which created much controversy, said a source.

“It was a very long meeting as the ministers discussed how such a sensitive announcement which the Cabinet has yet to discuss and decide on has been leaked and which has caused an uproar.

“The Cabinet also discussed possible elements within the government which may be trying to stir things up unnecessarily.

“Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad listened to varying views from different ministers. The Cabinet decided that the Critical Service Incentive Allowance for the civil servants be continued and that it will only decide on this much later in the year – whether we will continue or we will eliminate it, ” said the source.

In a Dec 20,2019 circular, the Public Service Department (PSD) announced that the government would no longer give Critical Service Incentive Allowance to 33 professions who will be joining the civil service next year.

These jobs include medical officers, pharmacists, dentists, nurses, engineers, air traffic controllers, architects, marine architects, legal officers, agricultural officers, vocational training officers, marine officers, research officers, among others.

In the circular, the PSD noted that current staff, permanent or temporary, would not be affected by the move.

Only new appointments on Jan 1,2020 and onwards next year were affected.

It added that existing contractual staff would also continue receiving allowances as long as their contracts were renewed without any disruption in service in between.

An uproar erupted until Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman said that Dr Mahathir had agreed to put the elimination on hold until the Cabinet decides on it.

The Cabinet meeting yesterday also discussed the possible government buyover and takeover of four Gamuda-owned tolled highways and PLUS Malaysia Bhd, said another source.

The Cabinet also discussed on the appointment of an education minister to replace Dr Maszlee Malik, who resigned last week, said a different source.

“The Cabinet was informed by Dr Mahathir that there will be an acting education minister for now.

“The Cabinet has been informed as to who it is, but it is up to the Prime Minister to announce who it is as it is his prerogative, ” the source added.

Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng also confirmed that the post of the education minister will be filled by an acting candidate for now.

There was much speculation since Maszlee’s resignation, among which said that Dr Mahathir will be the acting education minister until he finds a proper replacement from Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online